Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sam sent us the following email & pictures on Sunday, Oct. 19, 2014.  Our comments/questions to him are in italics.


Peter told Sam about the Royals & Giants going to the World Series.  Wow, that sounds like a wicked World Series match up. I wish I could see what goes down.

I hope Bompa Lloyd is doing ok and give him my best.

For me it was a little bit of a rough week. It's been kind of a difficult transition companion-wise. I'm not going to write about it a lot here, but I did in my journal. There are a lot of things happening that aren't necessarily "ideal," but that's the name of the game. I mean, they always say that living with a companion on your mission is great practice for being married. If that's the case, then I'll be well prepared if my wife loves to smack her food, doesn't clean any of her dishes, doesn't shower for weeks at a time (and counting), and urinates all over the toilet seat.......Every time. Besides that there are things that I'd like to change as far as the work goes with Elder Um, but apparently he's very sick, so we have to do all we can.

How are your investigators?  Our progressing investigator pool is a little low, and we threw up a couple of goose eggs this past week. Kind of a tough time. Any more rats in your apartment?  No more rats because we're in the nicer place, but our apartment is getting dirtier than it was before. I'll let you guess why. I'm trying to keep it clean.

I heard that Cambodia gets about 10" of rain in October.  The wettest months are Sept., Oct., and Nov.  I'll bet you are feeling that.  Yeah, this is supposed to be the rainiest month of the year, but up until yesterday it hadn't rained for like a week and a half. But I don't expect that it will give up that easily. It'll probably come back in full force.

[Sam sent us a letter from a little Cambodian girl who wants to have an American pen pal.  We gave the letter to my 11-year-old niece, Isabelle.  Then we asked Sam who Isabelle should address her return letter to.]  If you send that letter back, yeah, send it to the mission home and actually just address it to "Teuk Thla Elders" then maybe inside it you can put a little sticky note that says "give to Ret, the school teacher, in Tuol Kouk Ward" and hopefully it'll find its way back even if I've left. Letters here are terrible. I'm not sure, but I think Emily has tried to send me two letters, but I've only gotten one. I've heard that a lot just get lost in the mail, but some also come like 4 or 5 months late. Don't ask me where they go.

Have you seen Meet the Mormons yet?  Do you know if it will be showing in any Cambodian theaters?  I heard all the missionaries in America got to see Meet the Mormons. No, I haven't seen any of it and I don't know if I will or not. It definitely will not be aired in Cambodian movie theaters. Maybe one day they'll translate it and give it to the churches or something. Movie theaters aren't typical entertainment for people here like they are in America. So they're not very common as far as I know.

One of the new missionaries that came in this last transfer is 6' 9". And people thought I was a monster.

Aside from that, yeah that's about all I've got. A planned baptism for this week fell through because the guy wanted to wait, but we were glad because he is actually legitimate. He's super cool.

[Now Sam briefly describes the following 3 photos he sent:]  
Statue of some guy, somebody's accident, and flaming garbage. Gotta love it.

Have a good week you guys.
Statue of some guy

somebody's accident

flaming garbage

No comments:

Post a Comment